Following the Baltic exhibition in 1914, the idea was to organize an annual recurring trade fair in Malmö as a continuation. Initiative was taken by the Malmö Industrial Association in 1917, but the first fair was not held until 1919. During the first years, the fairs were held in Malmö Latin School and nearby schools, but moved in 1923 to Malmö St. Petri highschool. In 1950 Malmö Borgarskola was also taken. During the 1950s and 1960s, the importance of fairs and special fairs increased, which meant that the Skåne exhibition expanded more and a solution to the local issue became necessary. In 1962 the city council decided to build a trade fair and sports hall at Stadion and in 1964 the Skånemässan was held in these premises for the first time.